Friday, March 25, 2011

Oh So Saucy!

It has recently come to my attention that I am not the only one who LOVES sauces. Whether it be salad dressings, marinades, pasta sauce or a dipping sauce I just can't ever seem to say no to that extra little "umph" of flavor. I'd like to share with you a few of my favorite easy peasy sauces we enjoy in my own home in hopes that you and your family will enjoy them as well. Now, I must admit that some of these sauces may be considered "cheating" since they are simply a mix of one or two pre-made store bought sauces, but they are delicious none the less!


Hot 'n Saucy!
Some of my absolute favorite sauces are the ones with a little kick to them. perfect for wings, fresh cut veggies or even pretzels.
Here are a few combinations to try: Hot sauce and ranch, Hot sauce and BBQ, Hot sauce and sour cream.
Since I like my sauces a little on the spicy side, I usually mix two parts hot sauce with one part "other sauce". For example two tablespoons of hot sauce for every one table spoon of ranch, BBQ sauce or sour cream. However, those looking for a milder sauce may want to reserve those measurements and try 2 parts "other sauce" to 1 part hot sauce. These sauces are especially great for chicken fingers or nuggets.

Mixed Meat Marinade!
One of the most simple and delicious marinades I have ever used. My father taught it to me when I was younger and I still adore it to this day. We have usually used it on beef (cuts such as hanger, skirt, sirloin, flank and round)  and chicken (skinless and punctured with a fork results in the best absorption of flavor) but I am positive this would be absolutely delectable on any meat you are serving. But please, never ever marinate quality cuts such as rib-eye, as this can actually ruin the cut.

Needed:
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs ginger, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp pepper

To use:
Mix all ingredients in a plastic bag, glass bowl with plastic wrap to cover, or a Tupperware container with a fit, secure lid. Please, never use metal or aluminum foil to marinate because the metal can react with the marinade and ruin your meat. Place your meat in the marinade and then in the refrigerator to keep the meat cool and not spoiled. I like to marinate beef for up to 12 hours, but never longer than 24, as this can ruin the meat. As for chicken, I only marinate for 4 to 6 hours while you can marinate it for up to 48 without spoiling. When you are done marinating the meat, you may discard the marinade sauce or you may cook it (to a boil) and use it as a sauce in your meal. One of my family's favorite meals is stir-fried veggies with beef marinade over rice. After marinating the beef or chicken, we cut it into small, thin bite sized pieces and cook in a skillet with the marinade. We bring the marinade to a boil, make sure the meat is done, then add 2 Tbsp peanut butter and stir in some stir fried veggies. Its a great easy and healthy meal that the whole family is sure to enjoy!


Razzle Dazzle Salad Dressing!
Who doesn't love raspberry dressing on a salad?


Needed:
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Tbs Raspberry Jam/Preserves (NOT jelly)
1/4 cup Fresh Raspberries (pitted)
Salt and Pepper


Directions:
1. Mix vinegar, EVOO, raspberry jam and salt and pepper together WELL.
2. Place fresh raspberries in a Ziploc or between two pieces of plastic wrap and mash with a spoon.
3. Empty the mashed berries into the vinegar mixture and again, mix WELL.
4. Serve over fresh greens and Enjoy!


Love,
Queen of the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment